OAE hearing test on newborns
All newborn babies are given a hearing test, a so-called OAE, in order to detect any potential hearing damage at an early stage.
Hearing tests are offered to all newborn babies to detect and treat any potential hearing damage. This is how the hearing test is performed:
- The baby should be calm, preferably sleeping, while the hearing test is being performed, and it should be quiet in the room
- The purpose of the test is to detect hearing impairment early in order to be able to use any necessary aids and thus enabling good language development.
- The hearing test is offered to all newborns.
- It is common for us to repeat the test as the baby may have vernix remaining in the ear canal.
- If the baby does not pass the hearing test it will be referred to Hörcentralen (the Hearing Centre).