Karolinska University Hospital is heavily involved in medical research that creates new and better knowledge that forms the basis for future healthcare.
More than 2,000 employees at the University Hospital are active in clinical research, and Karolinska has about 160 professors/lecturers and approximately 60 adjunct professors/lecturers at Karolinska Institute, which is a clinically active environment and has joint employment.
Our research and educational structure (FoU)
- FoU Director and FoU management
- FoU Committee
- FoU groups for themes/operation levels
- Research groups in strong clinical research areas
- Joint hospital functions, core facilities, several active research hotels and the Karolinska Trial Alliance that supports clinical trials.
Karolinska University Hospital works to strengthen the integration of care, research and education with the patient's best interest in focus. Our mission is to be Stockholm County Council's university hospital with responsibility for specialized and highly specialized healthcare. The mission includes the main responsibility for research and education of students in collaboration with Karolinska Institute as well as other universities and colleges.
Research, Development and Education (FoUU) strategy
Stockholm County Council's FoUU strategy is based on our work with research and education. Long-term strategies:
- Strengthen the opportunities for clinical research to promote quality care
- Renew and deepen the cooperation between the County Council, the University and the business sector
- Further develop our knowledge bank.
Karolinska University Hospital runs core facilities, research hotels and activities for clinical trials. Core Facilities is a service unit that offers services to other operations within the entire County Council and Karolinska Institute, and in some cases, even external parties.
Electron Microscopy Unit, EMiL
Helps researchers to solve biological problems with electron microscopic technology
Karolinska Trial Alliance, KTA
Works to stimulate, coordinate and conduct clinical trials
Mutation Analysis Facility (MAF)
Helps researchers to study millions of genetic variations
Manufactures gene therapy vectors and cell therapy products for clinical trials
Clinical Proteomics Mass Spectrometry Facility
Offers researchers the opportunity to analyze proteome composition of biological samples