Our Themes and Functions
The care provided at Karolinska University Hospital is organized based on medical theme areas and a number of functions. Thematic care puts the patient's collective medical needs into even greater focus.
Our Theme areas and functions are:
- Children /Astrid Lindgren Children's Hospital
- Emergency and Reparative Medicine
- Heart & Vascular and Neuro
- Inflammation and Aging
- Women's Health and Allied Health Professionals
- Medical Diagnostics Karolinska
- Perioperative Medicine & Intensive Care
- Children Perioperative Medicine & Intensive Care
The hospital’s themes and functions have significant freedom to structure their organizations according to their respective needs. Several have opted for a so-called two-legged structure, with one Head of Department, often a physician, and one Head of Care Unit, often a nurse, responsible for nursing
operations, instead of the traditional model with one Head, often a physician.