Karolinska University Hospital is Region Stockholm’s university hospital with special responsibility for secondary and tertiary healthcare. Karolinska also receives patients from other parts of the country, and from other countries.
The assignment also includes primary responsibility for the Stockholm Region’s research and student education alongside the Karolinska Institute and other higher education institutions.
The hospital employs around 15,400 people, across some 150 professional categories.
Operations are mainly run at the hospital’s two sites, in Solna and Huddinge respectively.
The hospital is organized according to patient pathways, in six theme areas and three functions, as well as central administrative functions supporting core clinical operations.
- Percentage of Region Stockholm care assignment delivered: 102.1 per cent
- Average number of beds: 1,086 (+11 per cent from 2018)
- Number of patient visits (inpatient and outpatient): 1.4 million
- Number of PCR tests (performed/coordinated): 2.1 million
- Ongoing clinical studies: 1,300
- Net income: MSEK 74